Tuesday, December 30, 2008

First Winter Camping in the Safari SE!

We're heading out tomorrow afternoon on our first winter trip and we're going to Yosemite. The park doesn't take reservations in the winter months so we're hoping to get a spot but I'm not too worried about it. There are lots of sites in the park and lots of NFS land outside of it. While the weather forecast shows lows in the upper 20s, I noticed that it was only +9 F this morning so we'll see how the Airstream furnace does on keeping the tanks toasty. Since the furnace draws so much battery power I've also brought along the Mr. Buddy to supplement the heat so I don't have to use the furnace quite as much. I also have a spare battery in the form of the Duracell/Xentec battery/inverter. Last time out I used it for watching a couple of movies and for Sadie to watch a Sesame Street and it worked out great. Of course I always travel with the generator too so those things combined with fully charged batteries, a 110 watt solar panel, and many of the interior lights being converted to LED, I think we should be okay.

I don't expect to get all the way into the park tomorrow afternoon/evening so we'll probably pull over somewhere along the way on Highway 120 and set up for just the night and pull into the park early in the morning on Friday.

Both Carrie and I need a snow and mountain fix since we've not been to the mountains since early last year when we camped in the Hope Valley (between Markleeville and Kirkwood, one of the nicest boon-docking areas imaginable!).

We're all excited about the trip. I'm burning a couple of movies for Sadie to watch on the drive (more Sesame Street, actually), got the cameras, the Autonet Mobile wireless (let's see how that does in the park....), iPhones and chargers, bicycles, and firewood. Carrie got lots of good camping food and we're fired up. Hopefully I can sleep tonight and will be able to focus on work to get the last bits wrapped up before we shut down for the day.

No comments: